Chef: Marla Rose
Makes: 6-8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Garam Masala spice blend
- 1 T ground coriander
- 1 T ground cumin
- ½ T ground cumin
- 1/2 T ground cardamom
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 t ground fennel
- 1 t ground mustard
- ¼ t ground cinnamon
- ¼ t ground cayenne
- 1/8 t ground cloves
Aloo Chana Mixture
- 1 1/3c low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T fresh ginger minced
- 2 green chiles (I used Serranos), seeded and minced
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, diced (I didn’t peel mine, but it’s up to you)
- 30 oz. cooked chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ c frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 t tamarind paste or ½ fresh lime
- 1 t salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- ½ c cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat 1/3 c vegetable broth over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 minutes, adding more stock by the tablespoon if it starts sticking to the pan.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chiles, cook another 3 minutes, adding a small amount of stock as needed as you go.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the diced potatoes.
- Add broth by the tablespoon as needed, stirring frequently.
- Cook for about 22-25 minutes, until potatoes are softened.
- Add 2 ½ T of Garam Masala and the chickpeas, stirring until coated.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the crushed tomatoes, peas, tamarind paste or lime juice and any remaining broth.
- Cook through for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
Marla Rose and John Beske hatched the idea for the original VeganStreet.com in 1997. Vegan Street conveyed the sense of community and spirit of optimism they felt about compassionate living. Through combining their convictions about veganism with their passions for writing, communications and the arts, they began to carve out their perfect vehicle to express it with -- VeganStreet.com.