Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 6 - 12 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes (can be done the day before serving)
- 4 c brown rice, cooked
- 1 14-oz. package, extra-firm tofu, baked (see recipe at pbnsg.org via ‘recipe search’)
- 4 c greens (kale, Romaine lettuce, etc.), chopped
- 1 c hummus (without oil)
- 1 12-oz. package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 can or 3 fresh beets, cooked and chopped
- 2 c red cabbage, chopped
- 3 cans beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c olives, chopped (If you eliminate the olives, this recipe would be PP)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
Suggested Sauces: (serve warm)
Peanut Sauce: Mix ½ c peanut butter, ¼ c tamari, 1 t minced garlic, 1 t minced ginger, ½ - 1 C water.
Pad Thai Sauce: Mix 4 T tamari, 2 T peanut butter, 2 T sweet red chili sauce, ½ t garlic powder, ½ t ground ginger, ½ t hot sauce, 6 T water
Red Curry Sauce: Mix 1 can light coconut milk, 2 ½ t red curry paste, 1 t curry powder, 1 - 2 T maple syrup (sweetened to preference), ½ t cayenne
- If cold, reheat rice and grains.
- Place all ingredients in individual serving dishes and arrange on a serving table. Suggested order: rice, beans, corn, greens, cabbage, cucumber, beets, green onions, olives, hummus, sauces, baked tofu
- Have guests layer the rice, beans, and vegetables in a bowl or plate as desired. Top it all off with a preferred sauce. Enjoy!
- Add any other ingredients you’d like, such as quinoa, millet, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, water chestnuts, salsa, etc.
- Any leftovers from this meal can be placed in a storage container and eaten the next day.
- Or try putting leftovers in a sandwich or wrap with hummus, tomato, and your favorite greens. Delicious!
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet