Chef: Terri Edwards
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 11 minutes
- 4 oz Soy Curls or Seitan Strips
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce (oil free your choice, or make your own)
- One package of whole grain, oil free buns
- Reconstitute dried soy curls using hot water or vegetable broth. It only takes about 10 minutes soaking, then they are ready to be used in sandwiches, stir fries or anywhere you would have used chicken strips.
- OR, use seitan strips.
- After soaking, drain the liquid. No need to cook.
- Add your favorite barbecue sauce and heat for about one minute in the microwave or stove top. (See link below for an oil free sauce you can make yourself.
- Serve on a whole grain oil free bun or bread. We use spinach and onion as a condiment.
- Haven’t heard of soy curls yet? I assumed they were highly processed, but I was wrong. They are simply non-GMO soybeans that have been cooked to the point that they break down into strands. Then they are dried and packaged. (they can be ordered from Butler on Amazon)
- They have a chewy, meaty texture and absorb the seasonings and sauces of whatever recipe in which they are used.
- They taste kid of bland by themselves, but once you add the flavorings for the dish they are soaked right up by the curls.
TERRI EDWARDS is a Licensed Food for Life Instructor and Educator. Connect with Terri at her blog EatPlant-Based.com & blog.eatplant-based.com for her latest recipes and plant-based living tips. Follow her on FaceBook at (https://www.facebook.com/EatPlantBased/ )