PS or PP: Buckwheat Salad with Apple Cider Dressing
Chef: Jessica Meyers Altman; Garden Fresh Foodie
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Apple Cider Dressing
- 6 T apple cider
- 1 T mustard
- ¼ c apple cider vinegar
- 3 dates, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, pitted, and drained
- ¼ t salt
- scant ½ t ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (about 1 T)
- 3 T minced red onion or shallots
- 1 c buckwheat groats
- 4 c water (plus a pinch of salt to the water)
- ¼ c of pumpkin, sunflower seeds or a combo of both (If you eliminate seeds, this recipe would be PP)
- 2 c Brussels sprouts, shredded/chopped
- 2 c shredded carrots
- ¼ c finely chopped red onion
- ¼ c chopped fresh parsley
- 1 firm apple, of your choice, about 1 c chopped
- 1 c craisins, soaked until plump, and then drained
- fresh black pepper and salt to taste
- Bring pot of water up to a boil, add in buckwheat and cook until tender to taste but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Drain excess water. Set aside and let cool. This can be made a day or 2 ahead.
- Place dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place 2 c of Brussels sprouts into a food processor, and pulse until lightly shredded. Do the same for your carrots. I find the shredding attachment on my food processor to work the best for this.
- Place salad ingredients into a large bowl, and mix. Add in salad dressing, mixing as desired. Add ½ c of dressin.g to start, and taste. Add remaining dressing if desired, making sure not to make salad mushy (you may be left with a few T of dressing. Use this for a traditional salad!). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Jessica Meyers Altman
Associate Professor of Whole Food Nutrition & Living
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
Garden Fresh Foodie blog: www.gardenfreshfoodie.com