PP: Cheezy Macaroni
Contributor: Allan Kalmus
Makes: 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 large potatoes cooked in salt water (save at least 2 cups of the water)
- 6 T nutritional yeast
- 6 T tapioca flour
- 1 t lemon juice
- 1/2 c white wine vinegar
- 1/2 t Tabasco
- 3 t salt
- 1/4 t turmeric
- 1/2 sweet yellow bell pepper seeded and cut up
- 1/4 t paprika (or smoked paprika)
- 1 box whole wheat macaroni
- 1 3/4 c water from the potatoes
- Add the macaroni to boiling salted water per package instructions. Cook for about 7 minutes. Do not over cook.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Put all of the ingredients along with 1 3/4 cups of the water from the potatoes into a blender or food processor and puree it until completely smooth.
- Put the mixture into the pot used for the macaroni and cook it over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens (about 10 minutes). If it gets too thick, add a little more water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir over low heat until the macaroni is completely coated.
- Serve warm.
- I like things spicy and used my own hot sauce in place of Tabasco. Season to your own taste.
- Chopped vegetables or tomatoes can also be mixed in at the end for added color.
- The sauce works well as a "Nacho cheese" over chips or vegetables.