Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 3 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
- 1/2 c water
- 3 baking apples (like Pink Lady)
- 1/4 c rolled oats
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t apple pie spice
- 6 small dried apricots, diced
- 1 pitted date, diced
- 1 T maple syrup
- Pour the water into the bottom of a medium 3- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Wash and core the apples, taking care to avoid puncturing the base of the apples. (A melon baller or a teaspoon works well for this.) Peel only the top third of each apple.
- Into a small bowl, add the remainder of the ingredients (oats, spices, dried fruit, and maple syrup), and combine very well. Stuff the apples evenly, using all of the filling mixture.
- Carefully place the apples into the slow cooker. Cover and bake for 2 hours – on the low setting for a newer slow cooker, or the high setting for an older one, or until the apples are just tender. (Each slow cooker seems to have its own personality.)
- Serve warm.
VICKI BRETT-GACH is a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator and a Certified Personal Chef, and a graduate of the Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate Program through the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies. Connect with Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AnnArborVeganKitchen) and follow her Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen blog at http://annarborvegankitchen.com.