Chef: Andrea Seppinni
Makes: 8 generous servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
*This takes no more than 20 minutes from lifting the pot to the stove to ladling the soup into the bowl! Bonus: I picked all the frozen and canned ingredients for this soup at my local dollar store.
- 2 T Italian seasoning
- 5 oz. frozen green beans
- 7 oz. frozen peas and carrots
- 8 oz. frozen California Blend frozen vegetable mix
- ½ C frozen peppers and onions
- 1 C canned hominy, rinsed, rough chopped
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes in juice, plus 4 cans water
- 2 C cooked pinto beans, drained, 1 1/2 C liquid reserved ( can sub. other beans from can or home cooked, such as cannellini) Dollar Tree
- 2-3 fresh cloves garlic, grated
- Sea salt, to taste, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the Italian seasoning in the bottom of a large stock pot for a couple minutes, just until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and juice, water and the bean liquid and stir through to combine.
- Add all the frozen vegetables, bring to a simmer uncovered and then add the beans and garlic.
- Bring back up to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, optional, and pepper to taste. Serve.