Chef: Katie Mae
Makes 12 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 cups rolled oats, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup 100% apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla water
- ½ cup dates, pitted and halved
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen also works)
- ½ cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, making sure the sides are covered. Cut slits in the corners of the paper so that it overlaps and lies flat.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the rolled oats with cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder. Mix and set aside.
- Place bananas, apple juice and vanilla extract into a blender.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of rolled oats and blend until creamy.
- Add the dates to the blender and pulse a few times until the dates are in small pieces.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in the blueberries and walnuts.
- Using a spatula, pour the batter into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool at room temperature for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Adding the apples at the end keeps them cold and crisp, which complements the warm salad.
- This recipe is also delicious chilled, but it is best served within hours of when it’s cooked.
Connect with Katie Mae on Facebook where she shares more recipes, tips and resources for a stellar plant-based diet! You can also have her recipes delivered to your inbox.