Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 1 or 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- Splash of balsamic vinegar, flavored vinegar, or fat-free dressing of your choice
- Chickpeas or kidney beans
- Red cabbage or baby kale
- Green romaine or red leaf lettuce
- Red or green pepper
- Baby cucumbers or celery
- Roasted or pickled beets or chopped tomatoes
- Mild pickled peppers
- Baby spinach
- Olives (PS) or tofu
- Chopped walnuts or almonds (PS)
- Raisins or dried cranberries
- Start with a clean 1-quart-size wide-mouth glass jar with a lid.
- Pour vinegar or dressing into the bottom of the jar.
- Layer the most sturdy salad ingredients into your jar.
- Next, add layers of lettuces and other colorful vegetables of your choice.
- Top your salad with the lightest and most delicate ingredients.
- Close jar tightly with lid.
- Keep jar refrigerated, or inside of an insulated bag until lunchtime.
- To serve, pour the entire salad into a large bowl. Or, if preferred, simply turn jar upside down, shake vigorously until dressing is evenly distributed, and enjoy salad directly from the jar.
Tip: Although these salad ingredients are suggestions, substitute freely with your colorful sliced, chopped, or diced favorites, layering in amounts that fill a quart-size jar!
Vicki Brett-Gach is a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator and a Certified Personal Chef. Follow her blog, Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen [http://www.annarborvegankitchen.com] at AnnArborVeganKitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.