Chef: Zana Nikodinovski-Jancevski
Makes: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
• 2 c frozen mixed berries
• 1 ½ c milk alternative, water or juice ( orange, acai or pomegranate)
• 1 large banana (frozen preferably but not required)
• 1 scoop of maca powder
• 1 T flax seed or 1 T chia seed
If you opt out of the protein powder or the maca powder here is what you may add instead
• 1 c of fresh spinach or
• 1 c of oatmeal (finely ground up)
1. Using a deep blender or a deep Cuisinart Food Processor (“S” shape blade required) add in the frozen berries, milk alternative ( water or juice) and banana.
2. First start by “pulsing” the fruit and liquid about 10 times. This will help the fruit and liquid to blend better later on.
3. Once you have “pulsed” your mixture 10 times then you can place your blender or food processor on “blend”. Continue to do so until the fruit and liquid have blended nicely together.
4. You will then add in your scoop of protein or maca powder and your choice of 1 T flax seed or 1 T chia seed. Blend the mixture until the powder and seeds have been incorporated into the frozen berries and liquid.
5. If your choosing to opt out of using protein or maca powder, you may add in one cup of spinach and decrease the liquid by ½ c or add in 1 c of oatmeal (finely ground) while still using the 1 ½ c of liquid.
6. If your smoothie is too thick for your liking this can be easily fixed by adding additional liquid.
- This recipe can be adjusted easily; adding frozen mango and peaches, banana and pomegranate juice, kiwi and pineapple, strawberry, mint and banana etc. The choices are endless.
- Use what you have in the fridge. Usually when I see my fruit starting to “turn” I will rinse off the fruit, dry it off or peel it (if need be). Then I will add the washed and peeled fruit into plastic sandwich bags and place them in the refrigerator.
To your health, Zana