Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 10-12 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Total Time: 120 minutes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 t garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1/4 c raisins, roughly chopped
- 2 t coriander
- 2 t cumin
- 1 1/2 T chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T molasses
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 t black pepper, or to taste
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and bell pepper to large soup pot. On medium-high heat, pan sauté in a small amount of water until almost tender.
- Add the garlic, and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add beans, tomato products, 3 cups of broth, and raisins. Mix well, and add seasonings (coriander through Worcestershire).
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to rolling simmer, cover and cook for 90 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with any combination of fresh cilantro, diced avocados, corn, baked potatoes, or warm tortillas.
Vicki Brett-Gach is a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator and a Certified Personal Chef. Follow her blog, Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen [http://www.annarborvegankitchen.com] at AnnArborVeganKitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.