PP: Lime Jalapeno Hummus
Chef: Jean Hayes
Makes: 8-10 servings
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
Total time: 5-10 min
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve the liquid from the beans)
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced and seeded (use the seeds for more heat)
- 1/2 of an orange bell pepper or red bell pepper
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic, minced/chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- A couple of teaspoons of fresh thyme, I love lime thyme
- Put the pepper skin side up on the grill or on top of a gas stove and roast until the skin is black.
- Put it in a paper bag or wrap in paper towels and let it sit a couple of min and then scrape off the black coating.
- While the pepper is roasting, put all of the other ingredients in the food processor.
- Chop the pepper coarsely and place it in the food processor and turn it on.
- Add some bean liquid until the hummus is the consistency you like.
- You can also add some of your favorite hot sauce for more heat if you like.
- Serve with fresh veggies, and/or on a sandwich with whole grain bread or pita. I love the crunch and heat from the jalapeno and the mild flavor of the orange pepper. The lime just pulls all of the flavors together beautifully!
- The beauty of hummus is that you can experiment with different flavors by changing the herbs, liquid, peppers, and mustards and it will always be delicious!
Remember to have fun with your food and enjoy! Theplantbasednurse.com