PP: 5 minute Mexican Sweet Potato
Chef: Jean Hayes
Makes: 1 serving
Prep time: 5 min while potato cooking
Cook Time: 5 min
Total time: 5 min
- 1 sweet potato
- Low sodium salsa
- Pinto beans or black beans, about ¼ cup
- Chopped yellow or purple onion
- Chopped tomato
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh greens
- FOK Sour Cream (optional)
- Wash a medium to large sweet potato and place in a bowl. I cut off the hard ends on the potato also.
- Cover with a paper towel or plate and cook for 5 minutes in the microwave.
- While the potato is cooking, line up your toppings and chop a small tomato or a couple of cherry tomatoes, some onion, and cilantro.
- Put some fresh greens on a plate (I love broccoli leaves). Top greens with your sweet potato and slice it down the middle and top with beans. If you want your beans warm, you can microwave them for about 30 seconds before you put them on your potato.
- Top your potato and beans with salsa, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and tofu sour cream if desired.
- Even the simplest dishes can be more appealing if they are great to look at. Serve your potato on your favorite attractive dish!
- Tofu sour cream is easy and keeps well in a covered container in the fridge for a few days. We put a 12 oz lite silken tofu in the blender or food processor with a tablespoon or more of fresh lemon juice and a tablespoon or so of vinegar. Red wine vinegar is great, but if I don’t have it I use whatever is in the cupboard.
Remember to have fun with your food and enjoy! http://theplantbasednurse.com/