PP: Hearty Tomato Sauce
Chef: Katie Mae
Makes: 1 quart
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 14 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes, no salt added
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 6 Cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 head of broccoli, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules (4 garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (3 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (3 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (1 teaspoon fresh)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot add the chopped heirloom tomatoes, halved cherry tomatoes, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Then turn heat to low-medium and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Place a medium-size sauté pan on the stovetop over medium heat, and add the carrots and onions. Cover with a lid and stir frequently. Once the onions start to become translucent, add the diced mushrooms and broccoli. Keep covered and let them sweat for another 5 minutes. Turn down the heat if the veggies start to stick to the bottom of the pan. You can also add a little water as needed.
- Once the tomatoes are fairly broken up, add the veggies and dried herbs to the tomato blend. Stir well. Let pasta sauce simmer for another 15 minutes or so. If using any fresh herbs, add them after this simmer time.
- I like to blend half of the sauce to give the sauce more thickness, but this step is completely optional. The easiest way to blend the sauce is with an immersion blender, which is handheld and fits right into the pot. Pulse it a few times until about half of the veggies are blended. The other option is to transfer the sauce to the blender, blend and then pour it back into the pot.
- Let the sauce continue to cook until it is your desired consistency. The longer it simmers, the thicker it will become. Serve over whole grain pasta, a baked potato or winter squash.
Connect with Katie Mae on Facebook where she shares more recipes, tips and resources for a stellar plant-based diet! You can also have her recipes delivered to your inbox.