PP: Whole Wheat Pitas
Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 12 pita pockets
Prep Time: 30 minutes (10 minutes to make dough, plus 20 minutes for dough to rest)
Cook Time: 4 or 5 minutes per batch of pita loaves cooked at one time
Total Time: 45 minutes (for three batches, with 4 pitas cooked per batch)
- 3 c white whole wheat flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 3/4 t salt
- 1 c warm water
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Using a food processor, gradually add water and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Pulse on and off briefly just until a ball begins to form.
- Turn out dough onto a floured board. Form dough together and divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a smooth ball. Cover well with plastic wrap, and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes or more.
- When ready to pan-grill, flatten one ball at a time, and use a rolling pin to create a 5- or 6-inch circle. If griddle has room, cook up to four or six loaves carefully at a time.
- Heat nonstick griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Place flattened dough onto the dry hot pan. Don’t disturb, as it begins to grill. When dough starts to puff up in the middle after a few minutes, and becomes golden on the bottom, it’s time to flip. Allow the other side to cook for a minute or two, and remove from pan when toasty on the second side. Repeat with other portions of dough.
- Keep the pitas steamy and soft by stacking them inside of a folded cloth towel. Serve pita loaves right away, while soft and warm.
Vicki Brett-Gach is a writer, blogger, culinary instructor, Certified Personal Chef, and Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach. Follow her blog, Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen [http://www.annarborvegankitchen.com] at AnnArborVeganKitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.