Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 6 cups of pasta sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 T vegetable broth (more if needed)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 t minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes (reduce for less heat)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, diced
- 2 pounds of fresh tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 T red wine
- 1 T Sucanat or maple syrup (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste Garnish: fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Heat broth in large soup pot; add onion and steam-sauté for about five minutes or until almost golden. Add a little water if needed to avoid sticking to the pan. Add fresh garlic and crushed red pepper. Sauté for one minute more.
- Add bell pepper, zucchini, and summer squash. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for three or four minutes, or until all vegetables are just tender. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, and sweetener (if using). Bring mixture to a boil, stirring thoroughly. Immediately reduce to simmer, and continue to simmer uncovered, until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Use an immersion blender to process the sauce to desired texture (slightly smooth, yet still a little chunky). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve over hot pasta.
Vicki Brett-Gach is a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator, and a Certified Personal Chef. Follow her blog, Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen [http://www.annarborvegankitchen.com] at AnnArborVeganKitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.