Chef: Andrea Seppinni
Makes: 2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 c blanched slivered almonds
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 1 c nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 t fine sea salt, optional but recommended
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t onion powder
- Place both nuts in the bowl of a mini food processor or blender and pulse several times, until the nuts take on a corn meal like texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mini processor bowl or blender carafe and pulse together in quick short pulses until combined and the consistency of traditional grated shaker cheese (be careful not to blend too much into a paste).
- Stop your blender or food processor frequently to move the mixture around from the bottom with a metal spoon.
- Fill a clean dry shaker jar or cheese bowl with a spoon with the cheez and serve!
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Tips: Nutritional yeast, completely different from brewer’s yeast and the yeast used to make baked goods, is what gives this parm style topping and other plant based dishes umami and a cheesy flavor. It also offers a huge nutritional boost of B12 (check nutritional info. for B12 fortification on the brand you buy or on the nutritional guide in the bulk section) and protein. If you arewatching your sodium intake, reduce the salt as necessary.
http://www.plantchef.com/homemadeparmeycheez/ for full post.
COPYRIGHT 2015 | PLANTCHEF.COM