Chef: Carol D'Anca
Makes: 3 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 Delicata squash
- ½ c dried cranberries – preferably sweetened with apple juice
- 1 sweet crisp apple washed well, leave skin on and diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, outer layer removed, diced
- ½ c red wine (Maderia or port works well) If preferred, you can substitute apple cider vinegar for the wine
- Slice the ends off the squash, then slice into ¾ - 1” rings. Do not peel the squash.
- Remove the seeds with a spoon. You can save the seeds and bake them to use as a snack.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the rings in a single layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until they are browned on the edges and the ring is softened enough to eat with a fork. Turn the rings half way through baking to brown both sides.
- While the rings are baking, combine all remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and heat (medium high) until the apple is softened and the liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon over the rings right before serving and enjoy!
Tip: Baking time will vary dependent on how thick or thin you cut the rings and how fresh the squash is. Squash toughens after storing for long periods of time.