PP: Brocolli and Leek Soup
Chef: Carol D'anca
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 leeks chopped finely, include some of the tender green portion as well
- About 1 ½ lbs of broccoli, separate the florets and cut into pieces
- 4 c of vegetable stock – You can prepare your own or you can purchase a good vegetable stock. The brand I use is Kitchen Basics. It has the lowest salt content of any prepared stock.
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If you can use fresh white pepper to grind it’s nicer for the presentation as it eliminates any dark “speckles” in the soup.
- Warm the vegetable stock in a large pan.
- While the vegetable stock is warming, sauté the leeks in a non-stick pan for 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove the leeks and sauté the broccoli.
- You may have to do this in two or three parts if your pan is small.
- Sauté the broccoli until lightly softened but still has good green color.
- Add the leeks and broccoli to the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- When the vegetables are tender, puree the soup in batches using a Vita Mix, blender or a stick blender.
- Spoon into four bowls and serve immediately.
TIP: For additional texture and a bit of crunch, "Plant Strong"top with pumpkin or pepita seeds or "Plant Perfect" serve with a healthy no oil cracker.