Chef: Katie Mae
Makes: 12 3x3-inch pieces
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
- 1 c French or green lentils
- 5 c water
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 10 crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 c broccoli, diced
- ½ c rolled oats
- 1 T poultry seasoning
- 1 t dried rosemary
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 t garlic granules
- ½ t black pepper
- 1 c green peas
- 7 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 c water
- ½ t black pepper
- In a large pot with the lid on, bring 1-2 inches of water to a boil.
- While the water heats, chop potatoes.
- Add a steam basket to the pot and fill it with potatoes.
- Steam potatoes for about 20 minutes. They should be soft and will split nicely using a fork.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- In another pan, heat lentils and water over med-high heat.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Let lentils cook until they are tender (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (Note, this dish is fully cooked before it goes in the oven.)
- Baking reduces some of the moisture so that when the pieces are cut and served they hold together better. However, baking it is a completely optional step.
- While the starches are cooking, heat carrots and onions in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Keep the pan covered and stir frequently.
- If the veggies start to stick to pan, add a little water.
- Once onions are translucent, add mushrooms and broccoli.
- Continue to cook until the veggies are tender.
- Add peas and turn off the heat.
- After the lentils have been cooking for 20 minutes or so, stir in herbs, garlic, and black pepper.
- Add rolled oats, stirring often so the oats do not clump together. Lentils will thicken and become creamy. If they are too thick add vegetable broth or water as needed. You will want lentils to have a little extra moisture so they do not dry out in the oven
- Stir veggies into lentils and mix well.
- Pour lentil-veggie mix into a 9 x 13 inch casserole pan.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add 1 c of water and black pepper.
- Mash potatoes until desired consistency. Layer mashed potatoes over lentils.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then remove casserole from oven. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Connect with Katie Mae on Facebook where she shares more recipes, tips and resources for a stellar plant-based diet! You can also have her recipes delivered to your inbox.