Chef: Katie Mae
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
Total time: 17 minutes
- ¼–½ c pecans (PS if used)
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ½ c water
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted and diced*
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- If you’re including nuts, lightly toast the pecans in the oven at 350°F for about 5 minutes. You will know they’re ready when you can smell their sweet aroma. Be careful, they can burn quickly.
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half and then julienne each half. If there are larger pieces like the cores, feel free to break them up a little bit. If you’re looking for a faster way to chop the brussels sprouts you can use a food processor for this step.
- In a large non-stick pan, sauté the sliced brussels sprouts with the water over medium heat. Stir in the dates. Let simmer for 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The dish is just about ready when the brussels sprouts are soft and bright green.
- Now add the apples and lemon juice. If using them, break the pecans into pieces and stir them into the salad. Serve immediately.
- Deglet dates can also be used, but because they are a little bit smaller and not as sweet, you may want to add closer to 10 dates.
- Adding the apples at the end keeps them cold and crisp, which complements the warm salad.
- This recipe is also delicious chilled, but it is best served within hours of when it’s cooked.
Connect with Katie Mae on Facebook where she shares more recipes, tips and resources for a stellar plant-based diet! You can also have her recipes delivered to your inbox.