Chef: Allan Kalmus
Makes: 10-12 Servings
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1.5 lbs of butternut squash cubed
- 1 lb of frozen spinach choppled
- 2 stalks of kale chopped
- 6 stalks of celery chopped
- large Sweet Onion chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 inch of fresh Ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 c of Silk Vanilla Almond Milk.
- 2 c of vegetable soup stock.
- 4 T Lite Soy Sauce.
- 2 T Milled Flax Seed
- 1 Sweet Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 T Cayenne Pepper (Some like it hot!)
- 2 T Ground Cinnamon.
- 4 T Water.
- 1 of Nutritional Yeast.
- 6 dates chopped.
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- Cook the Frozen Chopped spinach per package directions with a TBS of chopped onion, a pinch of salt, kale and one clove of chopped garlic.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Add the 4 TBS of water to the Milled Flax Seed, stir and set aside for at least 10 min.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond milk, soy sauce, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon.
- In a large pot get the soup stock boiling. "Saute" the rest of the chopped onion until clear. Add the garlic, ginger, celery, chopped yellow pepper and butternut squash.
- Add the almond milk mixture.
- Cover and let it simmer stirring occasionally until all the vegetables are soft. About 30 minutes.
- Stir the pot to partially crush the vegetables.
- Drain saving the liquid for stock and let the veggies cool
- The Milled Flax Seed should be the consistency of an egg.
- Mix it with the spinach, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and kale.
- Bake it in a pan at 400 degrees for 15 minutes to make it thick and a little firm.
- In a large casserole dish mold a thin layer of the spinach, yeast and kale mixture over the bottom and a little up the sides to form a layer of green.
- Sprinkle on a little Cayenne pepper over it.
- Add the drained mixed squash and vegetables and spread it evenly over the spinach and kale.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the Cayenne pepper.
- In a sauce pan bring 2 cups of stock to a boil.
- Add the chopped dates, maple syrup and nutritional yeast.
- Reduce the heat, stir and simmer until thickened.
- Pour it over the top of the casserole and spread it out evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 min. or until brown.
- Let it cool before cutting.