Chef: Amber Poupore
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours
- 6 Whole bell peppers, any color
- 1 large yellow onion finely diced
- 2 large zucchini finely diced
- 1 c short grain brown rice
- 2 c French Petit Lentils
- 4 T garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c of your favorite beans and/or tempeh
- 2 cans large chopped tomato (28 ounces) and 1 small (12 ounce)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 c packed fresh basil, chopped
- 3 T Italian Seasoning
- 1 T dried basil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaf
- mineral sea salt to taste
- Cook rice in a rice cooker, its simple.
- Thoroughly rinse rice.
- Allow to completely drain.
- Add almost 2 c water and 1/4 t salt.
Tomato Basil Sauce
- Empty cans of tomato and paste into large sauce pot.
- Add 1 T salt and cook about 25-35 minutes.
- Add 2 T fresh garlic, Italian seasoning and dried basil cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Add balsamic cook 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add fresh basil and black pepper if you like.
- Thoroughly rinse lentils.
- Cover with water in pot and add 2 tsp salt with bay leaves.
- Cook about 40 minutes.
- Drain from excess stock, add water while cooking if needed.
- Chop onion and sauté with 2 T fresh garlic and 1/4 c water for 5 minutes on high, do not cook fully.
- Chop zucchini and add to sauté pan and cook an additional 5 minutes
Pepper assembly and cooking
- Slice tops off peppers and carefully remove the seeds and veins.
- Mix in bowl:onion, garlic & zucchini, beans/tempeh, lentils, rice, tomato sauce
- Stuff the peppers ensuring filling gets to the bottoms.
- Add surplus filling to the surrounding area and fill bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake in oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees until peppers are cooked to what you prefer.