PP: Potato Salad
Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 4 - 6 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 - 10 minutes
- 2 lbs. small red potatoes, rinsed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pkg. extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise (see recipe below under 'Tip')
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- 3 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T turmeric
- 1 t cumin
- 1 T Sucanat or maple syrup (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in pot and cover with water. Cook over medium/high heat for several minutes, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain, rinse, and set aside to cool.
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, turmeric, and cumin in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place green peppers, scallions, garbanzo beans, tofu, and potatoes. Pour the mayonnaise mixture on top and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Prepare mayonnaise a day or two prior to make this a quick and easy potato salad. To make the mayonnaise, combine the following ingredients in a blender: 1 12-oz. pkg. silken firm tofu, 3 T red wine vinegar, 1 tsp. dry mustard, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, and 1/2 t salt. Blend until smooth. This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups. The potato salad requires 2/3 cup mayo.
- Refrigerate the remainder and save for sandwiches and other salad recipes.
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet