Chef: Carol D'Anca
Makes: Four Servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 c of short grain brown rice
- 2 – 1 oz. packages of dried porcini mushrooms – remove from the package and soak in warm water for 30 minutes. Reserve the water after soaking.
- 1 or 2 large yellow onions – diced
- 1 lb of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 “pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- ¼ - ½ c white wine (if desired)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/3 c parsley – chopped coarsely (can also substitute chopped fresh rosemary)
- Place the brown rice in a heavy pan and cover with 2” of water. Bring to a boil, stir once, cover and simmer until tender - about 35 – 45 minutes.
- While the rice is steaming, begin sautéing all other ingredients in a large pan except the red pepper flakes and parsley. Use small amounts of the soaking water from the mushrooms and a splash of white wine for sautéing.
- Start with the onions as they will take the longest, then add the asparagus, garlic and rest of ingredients.