Chef: Denise Kling-Pelto
Makes: 3 rolls/24 pieces
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: Rice: 15 minutes, beans: 10 minutes
- 3 Nora seaweed sheets
- short grain sweet rice/brown rice
- 4 T Mirin
- 2 T Rice Vinegar
- Flavored Tofu; Lowfat ~OR~
- Savory beans: 1 cam cannellini beans sauteed w/ 1 cup vegetable broth w/ 1/8 c Dulse
- colorful peppers Julienne
- carrots julienne 12 2” pieces
- celery julienne 12 2” pieces
- kale small leave sections
- red cabbage ½ c slices
- Arame ½” inch bunch (adds texture, contrasting dark color and a mild seafood flavor).
- Any vegetable you love or have left over
- Your favorite bean
- Rinse rice by running fingers through in a colander until water is clear. Cook (rice cooker, heavy saucepan, pressure cooker) following package directions.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until rice is tender but not mushy.
- Healthy saute beans w/ vegetable broth and dulse - or cut tofu into strips.
- Blanch the vegetables. The goal is to make them tender, not mushy; firm.
- Put your sushi mat (bamboo going horizontally)on a flat, sturdy surface. Place the Nora seaweed shiny side up. Mix mirin and rice vinegar into rice. Place about a ¼” of rice over seaweed sheet, BUT make sure to leave about a ½ inch at top and bottom without rice.
- Place the vegetables and beans/tofu horizontally at the center across the entire width. Arrange the vegetables and beans/tofu so as to maximize color and texture differences.
- Using both hands, start at the bottom and roll the sushi as tightly as possible tucking in as you roll upward. Repeat for each roll. Once rolled, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Cut in ½ slices and serve on a bed of greens w/ light soy sauce.
TIP: Sushi Mat makes the rolling a breeze! Leave an inch at top and bottom of mat. Shiny side up and stripes vertical. Divide your ingredients into 3 separate groupings to make sure the rolls are equal in size.