PP: Barbeque Lentil Loaf
Chef: Denise Kling-Pelto
Makes: 8 1/2 slices
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 c red, green lentils or lentil mix
- 2 cups no-salt or reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion small diced
- 2 carrots small diced
- 2 stalks of celery small diced
- ½ c bbq sauce/ 0 fat; spicey, hickory; your choice
- 2 T spicy mustard
- 2 T low-sodium soy sauce or amino acids
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (pulse a few times in your food processor or blender)
- 1/2 c no fat whole wheat panko
- 1 T organic ketchup or bbq sauce to spread over top of loaf
- Combine the lentils with vegetable stock in a pot, covered, bring to a boil
- Once boiling, decrease heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked (soft, but not mushy) and the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, place onions, carrots, and celery in a food processor or blender and pulse until finely chopped-the smaller the better, put DO NOT pulverize. (or fine dice chop by hand)
- Transfer into a large mixing bowl and mix with BBQ sauce, mustard, amino acids, nutritional yeast, 1 T Italian seasoning, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing the paper to rise 2 inches above pan.
- Once lentils are cooked, mash slightly with a potato masher. (you want to leave some full lentils)
- Transfer lentils to mixing bowl, add oats, add panko and stir to combine.
- Place mixture into bread pan (lined with parchment or use a no-stick loaf pan).
- Press into every corner, packing it down firmly with a spatula.
- Top with ketchup or BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until firm with a crisp outer coating.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. You can flip over or serve out of the pan.