Chef: Katie Mae
Makes: 4–6 servings
Prep: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 55 min
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ c balsamic vinegar
- 8 medium size beets
- ½ c walnuts
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ t black pepper
- ½ bunch green onions, diced
- In a small bowl, soak the sliced red onion in the balsamic vinegar, mixing occasionally. Set aside.
- Wash the beets and cut off their cut off the root and stem ends.
- Steam beets on the stove top until they are tender when poked with a fork tender, or about 35 to 45 minutes depending on their size.
- When beets are done, transfer them to a colander in the sink and run a little cold water over them.
- Using your hands, peel off the beet skins under cool, running water while beets are still warm.
- Cut peeled beets into 1-inch wedges and place in a serving bowl. (You may wait for the beets to cool before cutting them.)
- To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread nuts on a cookie sheet and toast for about 4 to 5 minutes, until you smell their aroma. Let cool.
- Use tongs to pull the onions out of the vinegar and add to the beets.
- Add mustard, lemon juice and pepper to the vinegar.
- Whisk until the dressing is well combined.
- Add dressing to the beets and toss well.
- Crumble the toasted walnuts into the salad and top with green onion.
- Add nuts just before serving.
- Stores for up to 6 days in the refrigerator.
- Make recipe "Plant Perfect" by eliminating the walnuts.
Connect with Katie Mae on Facebook where she shares more recipes, tips and resources for a stellar plant-based diet! You can also have her recipes delivered to your inbox.