Chef: Jean Hayes
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 5-10 min
Cook Time: 35-45 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 can of low sodium or no added salt diced tomatoes with green chiles (or use plain diced tomatoes and a small can of green chiles)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2-2/3 of a can of low sodium or no salt added black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 c low sodium salsa
- 1 lime sliced into sections
- cilantro (optional)
- Wash the spaghetti squash and microwave for about 5 min to soften enough to make it easier to cut.
- Cut squash in 1/2 lengthwise and scoop out seeds and discard.
- Place squash in baking dish cut side down and add 1/2 c of water to pan and bake at 350 or 375 for 35-45 min or until fork tender.
- While squash is baking, sauté onion and garlic in a small amount of water or vegetable broth.
- Add the tomatoes, salsa, beans, spices and heat until bubbly.
- When squash is finished, flip it over and take a fork and scrape or rake the squash out of the shell and place on plates.
- Top squash with tomato/bean mixture and cilantro if desired.
- Serve with a slice of lime to squeeze over your dish and add some freshly ground black pepper.
- Adjust the spices to your liking!
- If you don't like black beans, try pinto beans or even leave them out if you don't like beans!
- If you love beans, use the whole can!
- Remember to have fun with your food and enjoy!
Check out my story and my blog at: http://theplantbasednurse.com/