Chef: Jean Hayes
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 5- 10 min
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 min
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
- 15 oz can of low sodium diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 28 oz can low sodium crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can of red kidney beans
- 1 c frozen corn
- 1/2 c pearl barley
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- A couple of shakes of Mrs Dash Southwest seasoning to taste
- Chipotle flavored hot sauce
- About 1 c low sodium vegetable broth
- A handful of chopped cilantro
- Saute the onion and garlic in a small amount of water or vegetable broth until soft, adding more liquid if they start to stick.
- Add the spices and stir.
- Add the diced and crushed tomatoes, corn, barley and vegetable broth.
- Simmer on medium for about 10-15 min until the barley is cooked.
- Add the cilantro and serve.
- This recipe is only a guide. If you don't like barley, use another grain like brown rice or whole grain pasta.
- If you love greens, you can add some in the last few minutes of cooking.
- You can easily dial the spices up or down.
- Some fresh lime juice added right before serving adds a nice zing.
- If you have cilantro haters in your house leave it out and put some in a bowl on the table for people to add as they please.
Check out my blog at: http://theplantbasednurse.com/