Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 10-12 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
Total Time: 7 hours and 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 c uncooked pearl barley, rinsed (not quick-cooking)
- 3/4 c uncooked brown lentils
- 8 small potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1-inch or 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 c chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 c chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 T Liquid Aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 t kosher salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 t coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in large (6- or 7-quart) slow cooker.
- Cover and set to high for 7 hours, or until all vegetables are soft and tender.
- Season if needed with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
VICKI BRETT-GACH: Connect with Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AnnArborVeganKitchen) and follow her Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen blog at http://annarborvegankitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.