PP: 3-Bean Vege Chili
Chef: Claire Brown
Makes: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For Cornbread recipe see Five & Dime
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 T chili powder
- 1-2 t cumin
- 1 c corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 pkg. cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T blackstrap molasses
- 1 can each kidney, pinto and black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1-2 zucchini or crookneck squash, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over med-high heat, dry sauté the onion and carrots in a large pot, stirring often and adding just enough stock or water to keep from sticking. Adjust heat if needed.
- Once the onions have begun to caramelize and turn translucent, add the peppers and garlic along with the chili powder and cumin (to taste).
- Continue to cook, stirring for another minute, until you can smell the lovely aroma of the seasonings.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to your pot – except the squash! Adjust the amount of stock or water depending on how thick you like your stew - you can always add more later.
- Bring to a boil before turning the heat down to simmer. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, adding stock as needed.
- Taste for seasoning and add the chopped squash.
- Simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve over a baked potato with sautéed greens and homemade cornbread. Yum!
Claire Brown lives in Winter Garden, Florida with two dogs, two cats and her husband Eric who is quite tolerant of all the vegetables she feeds him.
See what she’s eating on Instagram or visit her site at www.plantbasedtable.net