Chef: Lani Muelrath
Makes: About two cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: About 15 minutes
Total Time: Roughly 15 - 20 minutes
- 8 Medjool dates pitted
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries (about 2½ cups)
- 1 T orange zest
- Soak the dates in the orange juice for a few hours or overnight.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, blend the dates with the juice and the water.
- Put the date mixture in a large pot with the cranberries. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes. Add more water as needed so the mixture stays liquid though dense, like thick, chunky applesauce. Remove from the heat.
- Let cool and store in the refrigerator.
- Serve as you would any cranberry sauce: with holiday dinners, or on cooked whole grains, mashed potatoes, your morning oatmeal, or to spice up a sandwich.
- This sugar-free version of a holiday favorite has been a hit 100 percent of the times that I’ve served it, and has been one of my most popular recipe downloads.
- Buy extra cranberries when they are in season and store them in the refrigerator so that you can make this all year long.
- It’s great for topping oatmeal and pancakes, or spread in sandwiches.
Lani Muelrath, M.A., is an award-winning teacher, author, top plant-based lifestyle coach and passionista. More from Lani at www.lanimuelrath.com. [http://facebook.com/lanimuelrath], [https://twitter.com/LaniMuelrath], [https://www.instagram.com/lani.muelrath/]
*(Recipe from The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight by Lani Muelrath, reprinted here with permission from BenBella Books.)