The Future is Indeed Bright
For those searching for hope that a whole foods plant-based lifestyle is gaining ground in the medical community, look no further. This past weekend, May 29th-31st, Brittany and I attended the first of its kind: an International Cardiovascular Nutrition Summit hosted by the president of the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Kim Williams. Presenting were Ivy-league educated leaders in their fields promoting the gold standard of disease prevention, plant-based nutrition.
After speaking with a few attendees it became apparent that many of them had not yet transitioned to a whole foods plant-based lifestyle. I must say, I found this to be the most inspiring bit of knowledge I gained. Individuals are now seeking information regarding the benefits of a whole foods, plant-based lifestyle, changing their own lives, and passing on these lessons to their patients. This lifestyle is gaining ground, and it’s doing so quickly.
Thanks in large part to the efforts of all of you…those that are leading by example, unapologetically spreading the message, and arming yourselves, not only with evidence-based-medicine, but also with your own experiences, the latter of which can be far more compelling.
To echo the message of the presenters…it’s about time we start looking to treat the cause of disease rather than the symptoms because our nation’s healthcare system, our Earth, and our bodies can’t handle the status quo any longer.
Here is a list of the presenters if you’d like to get more information:
Dr. William Li (http://www.ted.com/talks/william_li?language=en)
Dr. Kim Williams/Dr. Scott Stoll (http://plantricianproject.org)
Dr. Dean Ornish (http://ornishspectrum.com)
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. (http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/)
Dr. William Roberts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_C._Roberts)
Dr. Michael Greger (http://nutritionfacts.org)
Dr. Terry Mason (http://www.forksoverknives.com/restart-for-health/)
Dr. Joel Kahn (http://www.pbnsg.org/plant-a-question-on-the-dr/)
Dr. Robert Ostfeld (http://www.montefiore.org/cardiacwellnessprogram)
Dr. Columbus Batiste
More information to come! Check back later this month to read about our progress at the medical school.
- Oct 27, 2017 Hi, PBNSG! Oct 27, 2017
- Jul 18, 2017 Dr. Jamie Qualls, DO, MPH: Reflecting on Graduation Day Jul 18, 2017
- Dec 26, 2016 A Literature Review Regarding the Status of Nutrition Education in U.S. Medical Schools Dec 26, 2016
- Jul 10, 2016 Creating a Complete Curriculum of the Evidence-Based Benefits with Plant-Based Nutrition Jul 10, 2016
- Jul 10, 2016 Meet Amanda - Future WFPB Doctor Jul 10, 2016
- Apr 16, 2016 PBNSG: Encouraging Future Doctors to Lunch and Learn Apr 16, 2016
- Dec 18, 2015 A Visit from Dr. Michael Greger Dec 18, 2015
- Nov 16, 2015 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits APPROVED! Nov 16, 2015
- Aug 31, 2015 PBNSG Receives "Interest Group" status at Wayne State University! Aug 31, 2015
- Aug 26, 2015 First Plant-Based Lunch and Learn Ever! Aug 26, 2015
- Aug 18, 2015 A new type of health prevention is in our future Aug 18, 2015
- Jul 24, 2015 Plant-Based Student Research Jul 24, 2015
- Jul 24, 2015 Slowly, but surely... Jul 24, 2015
- Jun 8, 2015 The Future is Indeed Bright Jun 8, 2015
- Jun 2, 2015 Brittany meets her hero - Dr. Esselstyn! Jun 2, 2015
- May 5, 2015 Meet Brittany - Future WFPB Doctor May 5, 2015