Chef: Terri Edwards
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: Approximately 1 hour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder (divide in half)
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 c vanilla almond milk (or any plant milk)
- 1/2 c apple sauce
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 c dark brown sugar (use 1 cup if you like it sweeter) or date paste for lower glycemic impact
- 1-1/2 c hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/4 c of the cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla, and apple sauce.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a silicone nonstick 8-9" square pan. Since silicone pans are very flexible, you will need to use a baking sheet underneath for stability. Glass or metal pans lined with parchment paper also will work fine.
- In a clean bowl, combine brown sugar and last half of cocoa powder. Gradually beat in hot water using a whisk and blend thoroughly.
- Pour evenly over batter in pan. It will be thin but will thicken up when baked. It will be a frosting-like covering over the cake and is delicious! If you leave the cake in pan instead of dumping out, just spoon the gooey fudge over each serving.
- Bake on center rack, 40-45 minutes
TERRI EDWARDS is a Licensed Food for Life Instructor and Educator. Connect with Terri at her blog EatPlant-Based.com & blog.eatplant-based.com for her latest recipes and plant-based living tips. Follow her on FaceBook at (https://www.facebook.com/EatPlantBased/)