Chef: Denise Kling-Pelto
Makes: 4-6 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
- 2 20 oz cans of green jackfruit in water, drained
- 1 ½ c bbq sauce (your choice)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 c celery chopped
- 1 green pepper; seeded and diced
- 1 c sliced mushroom (mini portabellas or white button)
- Rinse jackfruit thoroughly
- Place all ingredients and mix well in a slow cooker, on 200 degree setting for 5 hours
- Stir a few times during the cooking process
- After 5 hours, using two forks, one in each hand, pull apart the fruit. I place it in a separate bowl to isolate the jackfruit and make sure I didn’t miss any of the pieces.
- Place jackfruit back in cooker with bbq mixture and stir thoroughly. Cook for another 2 hours.
- Serve on a whole grain bun or over brown rice, quinoa or millet.
- Make sure not to leave unseparated large chunks in the mixture.
- The longer you cook it, the easier it breaks down. The jackfruit that had been on the bottom of the slow cooker pulled apart more easily.