Chef: Denise Kling-Pelto
Makes: 20 1 cup Servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2-1 lbs of dried peas
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 pkg of celery sliced
- 1 lb of carrots sliced
- 3 large sweet potatoes diced
- 16 cups of vegetable boullion
- 1-2 T of dulse
- 2 T marjoram
- 2 T no salt seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- Place about 1/8 c of water of vegetable broth in bottom of pan and “healthy saute” the onions and garlic. (Wait until water/broth bubbles, add onions and garlic and saute until translucent.)
- Then, “healthy” saute the celery until tender.
- Place celery with the onions and garlic in large soup pot.
- Add 16 cups of vegetable broth, and 2 lbs of dried peas.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and spices.
- Simmer until it reaches your desired consistency. Soup will thicken as it cools.
- If you want a more savory flavor, brown onion and garlic, and then “de-glaze” pan adding liquid to your soup once the water has been added.
- Add water to thin if soup is too thick for you.
- I freeze in 2c containers for a quick lunch. Take out of freezer the night before and bring it for a piping hot lunch in a good thermos.